San Francisco International Airport is located 13 miles south of downtown San Francisco, California, close to the city of Millbrae and the city of San Bruno in unincorporated region of San Mateo County, California. With flights pointing throughout North America the San Francisco International Airport is recognized as a major gateway to Asia and most of Europe.
Facts about the San Francisco International Airport
- The San Francisco International Airport first opened in May 1927 on about 61 hectares of cow pasture leased from an American lawyer and politician Ogden L. Mills. During this period the airport was named the Mills Field Municipal Airport. Later in 1931, it was renamed the San Francisco Municipal Airport and in 1955 the became known as the San Francisco International Airport.
- The San Francisco International Airport is the largest international airport located in the San Francisco Bay Area and next to Los Angeles International Airport, is the second busiest airport in California. The airport was ranked throughout the United States as the seventh busiest airport and the world’s twenty-second busiest airport by passenger movement. It airport is the fifth largest hub for the world’s largest airline, United Airlines as their primary transpacific gateway. The airport is additionally used ad the primary base of operations for the United States-based airline Virgin America. And is the only maintenance hub of United Airlines, and home to the Louis A. Turpen Aviation Museum.
- The San Francisco International Airport is owned and operated by the City and County of San Francisco, in spite of the airport actually located within San Mateo County. During the time between 1999 and 2004 the San Francisco Airport Commission commissioned the city-owned San Francisco International Airport Enterprises, Inc., to supervise its franchise and take control of projects including operating airports located within the Republic of Honduras.
- The San Francisco International Airport opened its Central Passenger Terminal in 1954. In 1984 the terminal was rebuilt into the international terminal c and was later rebuilt into its present Terminal 2. Official Airline Guide in 1957 shows a total of 21 schedules weekday departures on Pan American Airlines, 22 on Western, 71 on United Airlines, 19 on Southwest Airlines, and 12 on TWA.
- In July 1959 one of the first jetway bridges ever to be installed within the United States was built at the San Francisco International Airport.
- On October 17th 1989 the San Francisco International Airport after suffering some damage to its runways during the Loma Prieta earthquake was reopened the following morning.
- The San Francisco International Airport was one of the first airports to put into effect a Fly Quiet Program which encourages airlines to operate their flights quietly by ranking them on their performance on procedures concerning noise reduction on approach and departure.
San Francisco International Airport Webcams
Truelook San Francisco International Airport Tower Webcam offers a live view taken from the Airport Tower and overlooking the airport.
AIRPORT WEBCAM TAGS
- Live Webcam San Francisco Airport
- san francisco airport webcam
- sfo web cam