Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) located in Chicago, Illinois, occasionally referred to as the Chicago International Airport was constructed in 1942–43 as part of a manufacturing plant for Douglas C-54s during World War II.
The Chicago O’Hare International Airport today is the main airport serving the Chicago area, with Midway Airport, at a distance of about 16 km used as a secondary airport.
Facts about the Chicago O’Hare International Airport
- In 2014 the Chicago O’Hare International Airport was recognized as the world’s busiest airport in the number of takeoffs and landings surpassing the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Before; the Chicago O’Hare International Airport in 1988 was moreover acknowledged globally as the busiest airport in passenger traffic; a title which was temporarily forgotten due to federal restrictions which were implemented for the airport to reduce the experienced number of flight delays. However since 2014, the Chicago O’Hare International Airport has grown to become the third busiest airport in the United States and sixth busiest by passenger flights.
- The Chicago O’Hare International Airport is the primary hub for United Airlines, Air Choice One and is used as a focus city for Frontier and Spirit Airlines. Next to Houston’s George Bush International the airport is also the second largest passenger center for United Airlines, carrying over 15 million passengers each year, and largest by number of daily flights, operating a total of more than 580 flights daily. The Chicago O’Hare International Airport is the second largest hub in the United States, second only to the Dallas International Airport, and is third largest in the number of daily flights, with a total of over 200 mainline flights.
- The Chicago O’Hare International Airport as of September 2014 offers a direct service to over 150 domestic destinations in the United States and 57 international destinations in South America, Asia and Europe ranking it among a select group of highly-recognized global airports, including, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Charles de Gaulle Airport, and the Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
- The Chicago O’Hare International Airport has been ranked by both the Business Traveler and the Global Traveler Magazines as the “Best Airport in North America” for 10 years. However Travel and Leisure magazine in 2009 ranked the Chicago International Airport as second among the worst airports in the total number of flight cancellations across the United States.
- The Chicago O’Hare International Airport is managed by the City of Chicago Department of Aviation. Although most of the airport is located in Cook County, the section located southwest of the airport is found in DuPage County. The Cook County section of the airport is connected to the remaining portion of the city by way of a narrow strip of land just over 61 miles in width and runs from the Des Plaines River along Foster Avenue. During the 1950s the land was annexed into the city limits in a bit to ensure that tax revenues collected would be directed towards the city.
O’Hare International Airport Media
The Phoenix Weather Webcam
The Phoenix Weather webcam located at the Phoenix Coolidge Middle School offers viewers a breathtaking view towards the second busiest airport in the world, the Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
View weather webcam.
View Chicago webcam.
AIRPORT WEBCAM TAGS
- ohare webcam
- chicago airport webcam
- ord webcam
- webcam chicago airport
- O\Hare webcam