Located 8 km south of Las Vegas central business district in the municipal corporation of Paradise, Nevada, United States McCarran International Airport is the main commercial airport serving Las Vegas Valley and Clark County.
Owned by Clark County and managed by the Clark County Department of Aviation, the McCarran International airport is situated on 1,100 ha and has two terminals and four runways. Other terminals are used for private aircraft, sightseeing and cargo flights and for US government contractors.
Terminal 1 which was initially opened in 1963 contains 51 gates and three concourses: Concourse A, Concourse B, Concourse C, and Concourse D which opened in 1998. Terminal 1 is connected to Concourse and the satellite Concourse D by way of a people mover system (opened in 1987) offering a centralized check-in and baggage claim section.
Terminal 2 which was opened in 1986 and used in 1991 designated The Charter International Terminal was used mainly for international and charter flights to Las Vegas. Terminal 2 contained 8 gates, four of which were equipped to serve international flights and featured a VIP lounge for its first class passengers. In 2012 Terminal 2 was closed and scheduled to be demolished though a date has been set.
Following the closure of Terminal 2 the airport opened its Terminal 3 which is used for all international and some domestic flights served by the airport. The new Terminal 3 building which includes Concourse E and an added 14 gates is to date the largest public works project in Nevada as a cost of over $2.4 billion. Terminal 3 contains its own baggage claim and parking garage as well as a multistory parking facility containing over 5,900 spaces.
Facts About The McCarran International Airport
- McCarran International Airport was named in honor of the former senator of Nevada, Pat McCarran.
- Serving as the corporate headquarters for the low-budget American airline Allegiant Air, McCarran International is recognized as a focus city offering has non-stop flights to several destinations other than its hubs.
- In 2012 McCarran International Airport was used as a base of operations for the American low-cost carrier, Spirit Airlines, Inc.
- In 2013 the airport was acknowledged as the world’s 24th busiest airport by passenger traffic handling over 41 million passengers. By aircraft movements, the McCarran International Airport ranked as the world’s eighth busiest airport recording over 520, 000 takeoffs and landings.
- The busiest schedules recorded at the airport was between April 2014 and March 2015 headed by the world’s largest low-budget carrier Southwest Airlines with 44 percent, Delta Air Lines with 9 percent, American Airlines recording 7 percent and Spirit Airlines with 6 percent.
- Transporting more than 1 million passengers in 2013 and connecting Las Vegas with over 11 destinations in Canada, the Canadian carrier WestJet Airlines is the airport’s largest commercial carrier.
- Opening on Thanksgiving Day, 1920, Anderson Field (Rockwell Field) was the first airport serving the city of Las Vegas, Nevada. In 1926 the Californian based airline Western Airlines began a scheduled flight service to the airport. In 1930 Rockwell Field was closed and replaced by a new airport located northwest Las Vegas subsequently renamed McCarran Airport. During World War II the United States Army Air Corps established a gunnery training school at the new airport which was later closed following the end of the war. In 1947 the Air Force planned to reopen the base as Nellis Air Force Base at the airport provided all commercial traffic served by the airport be transferred to another airport. Following the sale of the Alamo Field to Clark County the airport was renamed to McCarran Field in recognition of the former Democratic United States Senator from Nevada and author of the Civil Aeronautics Act of 1938.
- The 1949 Official Airport Guide shows the airport experiencing 12 departure flights per day, with 33 weekday departures during April 1957 and 41 in May of 1959.
- McCarran Field during its first year of operations was used by more than 35,000 passengers. With the expansion of the hotel and casino industry during the 1950s passenger traffic significantly increased with the airport handling over 959.000 passengers in 1959.
- The increase in aircraft movement at the airport recognized the need for a new airport terminal. The new terminal which was opened on Paradise Road in 1963 was designed by the American architect Welton David Becket and John Replogle was inspired by the Trans World Flight Center designed by Eero Saarinen at the John F. Kennedy International Airport located in Queens, New York City.
- In 1978 the McCarran 2000 expansion plan was adopted and funded by a million bond issue in the amount of $300 million in 1982. The three phase plan which was completed in 1987 with the opening of the C-Gates satellite concourse included the consturction of a new parking facility, extended runways, additional gates, improved passenger facilities, as well as a new tunnel and an overhaul of the existing roadways leading to the airport.
- In 1998 the airport opened its D-Gate concourse southeast and southwest wings with an additional 28 gates.
- In 2003 the airport became the first airport worldwide to announced and implement a baggage-tracking system using Radio-frequency identification as an improved safety measure at the airport.
- In 2005 the McCarran International began offering free wireless internet and added a 160 ft ramp control tower to its concourse.
- In 2007 the airport opened a consolidated rental car complex hosting numerous rental car agencies. The facility which is located just 5 km from the airport can be accessed by way of a linked public transportation to the airport.
- In 2008 the airport opened its northwest wing of the D-Gates concourse adding another 9 gates and increasing parking facilities to a total of 44 aircraft parking positions as the D-Gates.
- In 2009 the American airline US Airways to cut costs resulting from the closure of the night-flight hub in 2008 closed its US Airways Club which was later replaced by an office for the United Service Organizations. Concourse D United Club opened just a year earlier was opened as a replacement for the former Delta Air Lines Crown Room Club closed in 2001.
McCarran International Airport Webcams
The Bellagio Webcam
Owned by MGM Resorts International, the Bellagio Hotel and Casino is located 2.4 miles, 33 minutes northwest of the McCarran International Airport. The Hotel by way of an online webcam refreshed every 15 minutes shows an exclusive view of the of the Bellagio Gardens featured in the video link below.
View The Bellagio webcam.
The Las Vegas Jockey Club
A “home away from home” the Jockey Club is conveniently located between the Las Vegas City Center and the Bellagio Hotel and Casino. The Club which is 2.3 miles or 31 minutes from the McCarran International Airport offers a high def view overlooking the Bellagio Fountains and the center strip by way of two static HD rooftop cameras refreshed every 45 minutes.
AIRPORT WEBCAM TAGS
- las vegas airport cam
- mccarran airport webcam
- live webcam las vegas airport